Galway Girl
Today, I was a Galway Girl. I set out to find the site of the former Sisters of Mercy convent and laundry.
I got a cab at the hotel, driven by an older Irish man, maybe in his late 60’s.
He asked what I was doing in Ireland, and I told him I was researching the
Magdalene laundries. He said, “Aw, those were bad, bad times in Ireland.” I
agreed and said I was doing research to write a book. He said, “I could write a
book, but I don’t know how. How do you start?” I said, “What would your book be
about?” Then, those floodgates again.
He
said, “I was abused by those priests back then. Not sexually, but
psychologically and intellectually, you know. What they did to me, they ruined me for life. They
were brutes.” He went on to give me a brief history of Ireland under British
rule. He told me how oppressive it was, and that the Irish weren’t allowed to
practice their Catholic faith. He said then they got independence in 1922, “and
the Church was much worse than the British. They controlled everything. They
were terrible.”
His
voice was getting louder and shakier. It seemed like he might cry. I said it
seemed like the same kinds of abuses had happened to the Magdalene girls, and
that there were laundries in the U.S. too, so it wasn’t just Ireland. He said, “I’ll
bet those nuns in the U.S. came from Ireland, didn’t they?” And I had to admit
they did. I said, “Well, I only write poetry. I’m writing poems about the
Magdalenes.” He said, “I love poetry, too,” and he started reciting lines from
Yeats’ “Lake Isle of Innisfree.” I told him he was lucky to be from the land of
Yeats, and then he pointed. “That’s the old convent, behind that wall,” he
said. By the time he dropped me around the corner, he seemed calm again. Before
I got out, I said, “I hope you write that book.” He said, “Maybe when I retire,”
and I said, “Oh please don’t wait. Just start writing.”
I
tried to find a way into the old laundry site, but the old laundry building had
been torn down and was replaced with apartment buildings. Although I could SEE
the old church, I couldn’t get at it. The original stone wall around the
convent and laundry property was still in place, EXCEPT where it was
interrupted by the apartment buildings, and there were iron fences there with
no gaps through. I walked around the block trying to get through from the back,
but the back had one gap closed off by locked iron gate. I’m meeting up with
someone tomorrow who can get me inside and knows where the gravestones are on
the property, too, so better luck tomorrow.
For
the rest of today, I walked downtown to the Galway Market. It’s a wonderful
open-air market with food and handicrafts and street musicians. There was a
little girl busking with her gee-tar, she appeared to be about 14 or 15. There
was a trad Irish group playing old Frank Sinatra tunes (for the American tourists,
I suppose). I picked up some homemade garlic hummus for dinner, looked at the
Irish kitsch in a couple of gift shops, and ducked in a music shop. I pretended
to browse, but I was really listening to an older Irish trad player sample
guitars and mandolins.
On
the cab ride home, my driver, a man from Congo who’s lived in Galway for 20
years, told me that he left Congo because of conflict, and then he talked the
rest of the way to the hotel about the need for us all to be less
materialistic. He said we only need, “Safety, shelter, health, and a little bit
of food.”
Before
I came to Ireland, I worried a bit that people wouldn’t talk to me because I’m
an “outsider.” But I’m starting to think that people talk to me BECAUSE I’m an
outsider. I’m not someone they know or will see again, and maybe that makes me
a safe listening post. And it seems
there are plenty of folks here with a few bottled-up things to say…
And here's a look and listen at Galway and the song "Galway Girl." Aw sure and it's gonna give ye goosebumps.
| This guy was born-again bagpaper, pipin' for Jesus. |
| Galway knows how to mix it up. |
| You knew this was coming. (This Greek leprechaun said he loves North Dakota and Mt. Rushmore.) |
| I don't care where you go on this planet, kids will poke the fish eyes. |
![]() |
| Swordfish with lemon. |


Comments
Post a Comment